"You & Me" Simple Wall Art DIY
Made this for Ryann for Christmas. Figured I would share the process.
- Picture frame with glass or plastic
- 1 yard of thin, low contrast, gray fabric for background
- "You & Me" digital print (size will vary depending on frame size)
- Acrylic paint and paint brushes
- Yellow spray paint
- Masking tape and scissors
- Spray adhiesive
- Clothes iron
- Exacto knife and ruler (only if you need for border)
- Take the frame apart. You should have a back plate, paper “border”, glass/plastic front, and the actual wooden frame.
- Tape the print to the the back plate in a centered position.
- Re-assemble the frame, leaving out the paper border.
- Paint over the letters exactly, with the black acrylic paint. Check to make sure you’re getting full coverage with the paint by removing the plastic piece occasionally and holding up to light. (I would recommend doing a different color print than you will be painting.) Allow 24 hours to dry completely.
- Iron out all wrinkles in fabric.
- Spray glue the fabric directly to back plate. (remember to remove the digital print from the back plate.)
- Wrap fabric around the back and cut off excess.
- Tape down on back for extra security and to ensure it will fit back in the frame.
- IF you have a paper border like mine, use the inside edge of the square frames to cut it into a perfect rectangle.
- Spray paint the frame. I would suggest sanding it down first with some light sand paper and then giving it about 2 coats that are 30 mins apart. Allow 24 hours to dry completely.
- Assemble and hang!
Pretty fun little project. It’s not super fast, but it was easy enough to do. I picked the colors to fit the style in our bedroom, but obviously you can do what ever colors, frames, or even artwork that you want.
Oh yeah, the font I used is called Abraham Lincoln. You can download it here for a very small donation.